Monday, October 22, 2012

What you do when you have nothing to do.

Since the hubs has been gone, I have had lots of time to sit and reflect on life.
As well as get a few projects out of the way.  
Namely one, but I'll start with the Journal Jar first.

Have you ever heard of a journal jar?
I had one once when I was in Young Womens. 
I didn't do a lot with it, and don't know what ever happened to it.  
But at this journaling class, we got a Journal Jar:


This is mine.  Inside are tiny slips of paper with suggestions of things to write about in your journal.
What a genius idea for someone like me, that has nothing interesting to write about?
Well, with a cute Journal Jar, i needed a cute journal, right?


So, about this next project.
My dad is an EXCELLENT woodsman (?)
Not sure if that is even a word...
He has a knack for finding things around the house (made of wood)
that are starting to get old and rickety, or that we just don't need anymore
and turns it into something awesome.
A few years ago, he made me this headboard out of some old BUNKBEDS we had:


Seriously people, that headboard used to be a bunkbed.
Like i said, amazing.
It's white and made of pine.
Pine tends to yellow a little, so I wanted to paint it.
At first I had all sorts of visions of what color i wanted, designs, etc.
And then I kept putting it off and putting it off because
1. I'm busy
2. I can't lift that by myself
3. I'm cheap.
So what happened, is: One day I decided I was going to do it.
I went to Wal-Mart and got some paint.
Then I asked the Beardsley's if they would help me move it.
Ta-Da!


Ignore that little sploch up there, that's where I tested my paint.
And so, I set to work.  It was about a 3 week process
where i didn't buy the right kind of paint, so it required lots of 
coats and drying, plus I was studying for 2 big tests and working full time.







I love it already.  It makes the room so much warmer and gives it more color.  Also makes it not look so big.

And here is something silly that I did:


Did you know that you can get these wallplates at Wal-Mart for $0.37? each?
I got this brown one thinking it would go along with the new headboard, but it 
just looks kind of ridiculous.  So I will be getting a new one that
matches the color of the switch unless i can think of something creative.  
There was a Pinterest thing of painting/stenciling them to make them
unique.  I don't know if I'll have time to even think about doing that.
 Well, that is all for my projects as of late.

1 comment:

  1. That's so much fun Grace! You did a great job with your head board. Do you want to come and paint my house now? :P Just Kidding!

    ReplyDelete